How to run Invest for Excel® on a Mac computer
While Invest for Excel® is not yet supported natively on a Mac (Microsoft Excel for Mac), it can be run on a Mac computer using virtualization technology! Thanks to modern “Coherence Mode” of Parallels software – it works in a very convenient and resource efficient way.
Coherence Mode of Parallels Desktop for Mac allows running Windows applications right inside of Mac OS environment, in such a way that Mac and Windows environments merge together and Invest for Excel® visually appears like another Mac application. It works so well that you don’t even notice that application is running on virtualized Windows, behind the scenes.
Once it is set up right, you will see a special Windows applications menu on your Mac’s taskbar, allowing to run any Windows application with a click of a button, while automatically powering on Windows virtual machine in the background. When Windows applications are not needed anymore, it shuts down the virtual machine to conserve Mac’s resources.
DataPartner finds Parallels Desktop for Mac to be the best price/value software alternative out of multiple Windows virtualization technologies available for Mac. Below are the step-by-step installation and setup instructions.
- The setup requires small investments to acquire the needed third party software licenses, unless you already have them (Parallels Desktop for Mac, Windows 10, Excel 2016 for Windows);
- The setup procedure is a bit complex, therefore we recommend to ask your IT department representative to participate or guide you in the setup process.
- If needed, DataPartner is ready to help you set up the environment, contact us and reserve a free installation support session!
DataPartner’s recommended method of running Invest for Excel® on a Mac computer:
- Acquire and install “Parallels Desktop for Mac”.
Can be bought for 1-time fee of $79.99 USD** (“current version only”), switch to US/English to get best price in USD.
- Unless you already have a license, buy Windows 10 operating system.
It costs $119.99 USD**, choose “Download"-version and download it.
- Run Parallels Desktop and install Windows 10 in it in virtual mode.
- When virtual Windows 10 setup is complete, you will be able to run it using Parallels program shortcut. By default it starts in Windows mode, follow next step to prepare it for recommended "Coherence mode".
- For best experience, DataPartner recommends using Coherence mode for virtual Windows 10. In Coherence mode it is possible to use Windows apps in Mac environment, without even noticing that it is based on Windows. This feature is not enabled by default and requires installing Parallels Tools for Windows, which can be done by pressing on yellow triangle on Parallels control panel (program's notification that Parallels Tools for Windows are not yet installed). Pressing it will insert virtual disk to Windows 10 with installation package. Proceed by opening the disk and running the installation package. Once it is done, it will offer to restart virtual Windows 10 and upon new start the Coherence mode will be available. To make sure Coherence mode always starts automatically, please specify it in Parallels settings of the virtual Windows 10 under startup mode setting.
- Next step is to install Microsoft Excel (Microsoft Office) on your virtual Windows 10. Have to be very careful at this step, not to confuse with Mac-based Microsoft Office.
- Do you have Office 365 subscription? In that case you already have license to use both Mac version of Office and a PC version. To install PC version of Office on your virtual Windows 10, you first need to open Windows-based web browser, e.g. Edge (bundled with Windows 10) and using that browser log in to Office 365 Portal and go to Software section: https://portal.office.com/OLS/MySoftware.aspx, it should detect automatically that you are viewing this page from Windows environment and offer you a download of PC version of Office. Download and proceed with installation.
In case you do not have Office 365 subscription, and instead only have Mac-based Office license, there is chance that you would need to buy PC-based Office/Excel license. I found following options:
* Only Excel 2016, $109.99 USD** https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Excel-2016/productID.323021400
* Full list of offers for Office by Microsoft: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/All-Office/categoryID.69403900?icid=Homepage_LeftNav_01_Office_en_US
- Once you have PC version of Excel installed, you are ready to install Invest for Excel®. You need to download the installation package and navigate to the file using Windows-based File Explorer, run and install it. Upon successful installation, you will see Invest for Excel® icon on Desktop and in start menu of Windows.
- If coherence mode is enabled, you will see an extra Windows applications icon on your Mac task panel. Pressing on it will show you identical menu to Windows start menu, allowing to run all installed Windows apps. To run Invest for Excel®, press Windows Apps > DataPartner > Invest for Excel®. This will even star the virtual Windows 10 if it was not started before. All Windows-based apps will have Parallels logo on them in shape of two red bars, this indicates the app is running on virtual Windows.
- On first run, Invest for Excel® will ask you to activate it by sending us the workstation code, upon processing it we will respond with activation key.
- Finally, Invest for Excel® will be ready for work!
Please contact DataPartner if you need assistance or have questions!
** All third-party software prices are mentioned for general information only, are subject to change without notice.